The light (LED bulb) is fading.

< Previous | Next >
  • Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    "The light is fading" sounds as if you're referring to the day coming to an end. I suggest The bulb is burning out or The bulb is dying (not dying out).

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    "The light is fading" sounds as if you're referring to the day coming to an end. I suggest The bulb is burning out or The bulb is dying (not dying out).
    Thanks for the suggestions. Would these be idiomatic to say " The bulb is losing its brightness/ the bulb is getting dimmer".

Szkot

UK English
    I see nothing wrong with light bulbs fading:

LED bulbs do last a lot longer than the average light bulb, but no, they won’t last forever. Like all light sources, they eventually fade over time. (Source: Philips)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think fading might work, but as Barque says it has other associations. I think a very common way of saying this is to refer to the bulb losing its brightness (one of Ritu's suggestions in Post 3).

Uncle Jack

British English
    I would almost certainly use "fading", and the context would make it clear I was referring to an LED lamp rather than the daylight. This is the problem with looking at sentences in isolation; we tend to think of the obvious meaning without context (daylight, in this case), where in a particular situation there may be a far more obvious meaning.

If you said "the light's fading" in the middle of the night, no one, not even a person listening in the next room who could not see the LED lamp in question, would imagine you were referring to the daylight. In English, context is everything.

< Previous | Next >