... the line charges will be changed lately

Discussion in 'English Only' started by allen1984, Sep 4, 2007.

1. allen1984 Senior Member

stafford, UK
    chinese
    I have received a letter that informs me the line charges will be changed lately

The below three sentences expressing the meaning of above setence, which one would be correct?

I have received a letter about the line charges will be changed lately

I have received a letter about the line charges being changed lately

I have received a letter about the line charges changed lately

Thanks a lot :)

As to me, I would prefer to use the top sentence in writing as a formal way.

2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    I'm not sure what you mean by "lately" in this context but the one which is closest to correct is the second sentence. The first sentence is, by far, the most incorrect and ungrammatical. By "lately", do you mean "recently"?

3. Cristina Allende Senior Member

US, English
    The top sentence is definitely the most stylistically advanced sentence of the choices.

:cross:I have received a letter about the line charges will be changed lately.

:tick:I have received a letter about the line charges being changed lately.

:cross:I have received a letter about the line charges changed lately.

The first and second do not make sense at all. The middle one makes sense, but not in the context you want it to be in. The middle sentence makes it seem that you have recieved a letter about how the line charges have already been changed. But the sentence that you are trying to change states that the line charges are going to be changed.

You could say this:
    I have received a letter about the future changes of the line charges.

But this still kind of distorts the original meaning.
    I hope this information helps!
    --Christina