the little boy whom I look after

< Previous | Next >


Salut ! Je voudrais savoir comment dit-on en français 'the little boy whom I look after'. Je ne suis pas sûre - 'le petit garçon de qui je m'occupe', ça c'est la bonne phrase?

Merci !
  • All in One


    Le petit garçon dont je m'occupe de qui becomes dont in most relative clauses (this thread might help further)
    Last edited by a moderator:


    Senior Member
    langue française
    Juste un mot pour dire : bienvenue chez WordReference, sophie26. :)

    Capello a raison, bien entendu : votre proposition, le petit garçon de qui je m'occupe, est tout à fait correcte :thumbsup:, même si on peut aussi employer dont.


    New Member
    ... " de qui je m'occupe ", ou bien, " dont je m'occupe "
    Parlant de personnes, d'individus ; je préfère le " qui ";
    Parlant de choses, je préfère le " dont "


    New Member
    English — USA
    This is my first comment, ever...

    Pourquoi pas “le petit garçon que je garde”? Doesn’t this have the same sense? (Would love to know why not, if not!)

    Maître Capello

    Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    Hello robinwren and welcome to the forums! :)

    Your suggestion is also possible, but note that garder has several possible meanings and therefore could also mean something else.

    s'occuper de qqn = to take care of someone, to look after someone
    garder qqn = to take care of someone, to look after someone / to be responsible for someone / to keep (in custody, under observation, etc.)


    Senior Member
    French - France
    Le petit garçon dont je m'occupe !! "de qui je m'occupe" really sounds weird (may be it's used in Canada). But in France the most common way to say it would be "le petit garçon que je garde". We would need the context to translate accurately...
    < Previous | Next >