the little man in the blue cloak

< Previous | Next >

yanming620

China
Dear Forummember,

I read this from Count of Monte Cristo, when Franz said the count has something to revenge society , the count replied:

"You have not guessed rightly. Such as you see me I am, a sort of philosopher, and one day perhaps I shall go to Paris to rival Monsieur Appert, and the little man in the blue cloak."

Who is "the little man in the blue cloak" refer to ?

I look through the book and didn't find a particular person mentioned in the book could be refer to so it probabally be a famous person.

Thanks in advance.

• yanming620

China
    Teksch , thanks for answering, but the Count is a Bonapartist, so he can't rival Napoleon, is there someone else at the period fitting the description of "the little man in the blue cloak" ?

christopher montague

english - USA
    I believe this is actually a reference to Edme Champion, a Parisian Jeweler and philanthropist active around the time the Count of Monte Cristo was set. According to a rough translation of the french wikipedia page about him: "The little blue coat he wore was often used as an appellation, and has since passed into everyday language to describe a disinterested benefactor."

This fits in with the story much better than the idea that it could be a reference to Napoleon.

< Previous | Next >