The location of “that”

zgqcn

Chinese
HI~~

Would you like please to tell me can l put “that ” behind of “The company also said…”?
<< --- >> :)

Original Text from THE WALL STREET JOURNAL:

Wal-Mart said Tuesday that it trained employees to comply with Chongqing’s laws and regulations and created food inspection labs at Chongqing outlets to improve food management. The company also said it is packing organic meat with food certificates to verify that products are pollutions-free and organic. Chongqing officials alleged that Wal-Mart fraudulently sold ordinary pork labeled as organic.

Rewritten Text from my poor English:
Wal-Mart said on Tuesday that it had trained employees to obey the laws and regulations of Chongqing and created food inspection labs at Chongqing’s outlets to promote food management. The company also said that it was packing organic meat with food certificates to prove these products be pollution-free and organic. The officials in Chongqing alleged that Wal-Mart fraudulently sold normal pork as organic meat by labeling organic labels.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    My take on this is that, if you use that once, then you should keep doing so in subsequent sentences.

So you rewritten text seems OK to me, as least as far as the that is concerned.

neal41

USA, English
    HI~~

Would you like please to tell me can l if I can put “that ” behind of “The company also said…”?

The short answer is "yes". When 'that' introduces a subordinate clause but plays no syntactic role in that clause, it is sometimes called a complementizer. In most cases such a 'that' can either be present or be omitted. If there is any doubt, I think it is better not to omit it. I disagree with SwissPete. In a given body of text it is not necessary to consistently choose one option or the other.

I have a question. Why are you rewriting what you read in the WSJ?

Original Text from THE WALL STREET JOURNAL:

Wal-Mart said Tuesday that it trained employees to comply with Chongqing’s laws and regulations and created food inspection labs at Chongqing outlets to improve food management. The company also said it is packing organic meat with food certificates to verify that products are pollutions-free and organic. Chongqing officials alleged that Wal-Mart fraudulently sold ordinary pork labeled as organic.

Rewritten Text from my poor English:
    Wal-Mart said on Tuesday that it had trained employees to obey the laws and regulations of Chongqing and created food inspection labs at Chongqing’s outlets to promote food management. The company also said that it was packing organic meat with food certificates to prove these products be to prove that these products are pollution-free and organic. The officials in Chongqing alleged that Wal-Mart fraudulently sold normal pork as organic meat by labeling using organic labels.

zgqcn

Chinese
    Thank you for your answer. :)

I read WSJ to learn English.I read the news in the WSJ and translate it into Chinese text, after several weeks, I translate it into English accroding to the Chinese text. In the process, I always lose some ideas or words in the orginal news,and make many syntax errors, so I look for help here.

< Previous | Next >