(the) Moscow – St. Petersburg train
(the) JFK – Narita airplane
(the) Taweelah – Fujairah gas pipeline

With or without the?
Is there any rule on that?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Yes, where a proper noun acts in an adjectival manner, "the" is required because the whole idea is specific.

Saluton

Banned
    Russian
    Universities are also countable but normally, they do not take an article.
    Alright, there's probably no rule on that and it should be mentioned on pages for learners, like <<link removed>> . Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

se16teddy

English - England
    I see what you mean, Saluton. "Route 66" is treated as a place name to the extent that it not only bears a capital letter, but has even lost its article - see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66. I think that Americans refer to some (or all?) other roads in a similar way. I have seen some marketing wags trying to imitate this phenomenon over here, for example the owners of the Route 303 American Diner on the A303 road in England: http://www.flickr.com/photos/geordieray/7976897494/ Sometimes people refer to bus routes similarly. But this phenomenon is exceptional for railway lines and pipelines.

Last edited:

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    There is a difference between the examples in Post 1 and Route 66. The consider the latter a proper name in its own right and has a status similar to that of a street name. For the London–Paris route [I would close up the gap on either side of the en dash], the head noun is route, a common noun. It just so happens that the common noun is modified by two proper nouns. For this reason the article is required there.

Proper names are a category on their own, and although the core names don't take articles, some do. So you have the University of Cambridge and also Cambridge University​ [no article].

< Previous | Next >