the long twist of hair wrap

< Previous | Next >

angliholic

Banned
Manderin
My fingers were still tangled up in the jumble of thread--but the long twist of hair wrap wasn't attached to Fee's head any more. Which--EEK!--left Fee with a small, round, bald spot where lovely ginger hair used to be!

First, could I replace the long twist of hair wrap with the long twisted thread of hair wrap?
Second, what kind of interjections is EEK, surprised, frightened, confused, or anything else?
Thanks.

• sallyhennypenny

English United States
    You could change "the long twist of hair wrap" but that would make it redundant. Having "thread" more than once so close together in the same sentence won't sound right. It's always a good idea to read a sentence outloud so you can catch errors or awkward construction.

"My fingers were still tangled up in the jumble of thread--but the long twisted thread of hair wrap wasn't attached to Fee's head anymore."

As for "EEK!" it is a combination of surprised and frightened.

angliholic

Banned
    Manderin
    You could change "the long twist of hair wrap" but that would make it redundant. Having "thread" more than once so close together in the same sentence won't sound right. It's always a good idea to read a sentence outloud so you can catch errors or awkward construction.

"My fingers were still tangled up in the jumble of thread--but the long twisted thread of hair wrap wasn't attached to Fee's head anymore."

As for "EEK!" it is a combination of surprised and frightened.
    Thanks, sallyhennypenny, for the comment.
    I didn't notice there was a thread in the front part of the sentence.
    What if I use "the long twisted string of hair wrap" to replace it, would it work?
    Thanks.

sallyhennypenny

English United States
    Glad to help. :)

You could use string or you could try strand. I tend to think that sounds better because it's actually describing the hair wrap and not the thread.

"My fingers were still tangled up in the jumble of thread--but the long twisted strand of hair wrap wasn't attached to Fee's head anymore."

There may be one thread but I imagine a hair wrap would contain more than one hair which is why strand works better than string. I hope that makes sense.

emma42

British English
    I agree with that.

I would say that "Eek!" can indicate surprise (in a good or a bad sense), fear, shock.

Eek! I love that dress! You look fantastic in it.

Eek! There's a huge spider in the bath!

Eek! I just saw a man running out of the house!

Eek! What have you done to your hair?!

Edit: I'm sorry, I should have asked you to open a new thread about "Eek" - we are only supposed to deal with one topic per thread.

angliholic

Banned
    Manderin
    Glad to help. :)

You could use string or you could try strand. I tend to think that sounds better because it's actually describing the hair wrap and not the thread.

"My fingers were still tangled up in the jumble of thread--but the long twisted strand of hair wrap wasn't attached to Fee's head anymore."

There may be one thread but I imagine a hair wrap would contain more than one hair which is why strand works better than string. I hope that makes sense.
    Thank you, sallyhennypenny, for the comment and the extra word strand, which I really cherish.

< Previous | Next >