the longest time that you are allowed

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Hello, all,

time limit
the longest time that you are allowed in which to do something
Longman DOCE 5th Ed.

Tell me please, do I correctly understand the original sentence and are correct the following ways I've changed it? (I mean that the meaning of the original and my sentences is the same)
the longest time in which you are allowed to do something
the longest time which you are allowed to do something in
the longest time that you are allowed to do something in
the longest time that you are allowed in to do something

Though, I still don't understand the way "in which" is put in the original sentence:confused:

• ron1759

U.S. - English
    "Tell me please, do I correctly understand the original sentence and are correctthe following ways I've changed it correct?"

:tick: "the longest time in which you are allowed to do something"

:tick: "the longest time which you are allowed to do something in" (but this sounds less elegant than the previous phrase)

:tick: "the longest time that you are allowed to do something in" (again, it doesn't sound as good)

:cross: "the longest time that you are allowed in to do something" (here "in" would be interpreted as belonging with "allowed," as in "He was allowed (to be) in the room."

rhitagawr

British English
    Can we have a full sentence please, VikNikSor? I agree with ron1759 more or less. But I don't see why you need a relative pronoun at all. The refectory is very busy so one hour is the longest time you're allowed to stay there. But this isn't as natural as The refectory is very busy so you're only allowed to stay there for one hour.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you.

But the original sentence is still keeping me on the run:)
    the longest time that you are allowed in which to do something
    Could you tell me if these ones are also possible?
    The smallest box that I ever could into which get
    The most dangerous situation that I've managed of which to get out
    (If they are not, what is the fundamental difference between them and the original?)

Can we have a full sentence please, VikNikSor?
    This is a full sentence from Longman dictionary...

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    Vik. It's a dictionary definition. It's not a normal English sentence, they rarely are. It is structured the way it is in order to provide a precise definition of the meaning of "time limit". If you want to see a proper sentence with "time limit" in it, use the search box (time limit) and click on "in context".

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Vik. It's a dictionary definition. It's not a normal English sentence, they rarely are. It is structured the way it is in order to provide a precise definition of the meaning of "time limit". If you want to see a proper sentence with "time limit" in it, use the search box (time limit) and click on "in context".
    I'm surprised that the authors of dictionaries can use such "not normal English sentences" writing definitions

Thank you.

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Definitions aren't ever complete sentences, although some dictionaries may sometimes offer a complete sentence as a usage example.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Definitions aren't ever complete sentences, although some dictionaries may sometimes offer a complete sentence as a usage example.
    I don't quite understand - do you mean that the original sentence is just the fragment of a complete sentence? And if we add the missing part to the beginning or the end of the sentence - we get a normal sentence?
    (.....) the longest time that you are allowed in which to do something (....)

Andygc

British English
    The full sentence equivalent to the dictionary entry is:
    The phrase "time limit" means the longest time that you are allowed in which to do something.
    The example sentence could be :
    You are given a time limit of an hour to complete the test.
    Which could be rewritten
    You are given one hour in which to complete the test.
    {the longest time=one hour}{that you are allowed}{in which}{to do something=complete the test}

< Previous | Next >