The Lord blew a bit too soon on the spark

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 420, chapter 18) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Mellors was having lunch with Connie and her sister Hilda. Hilda said it's such a ugly situation all around…)

‘I had a lot o’ fun out of it,’ said he. (By Mellors)

‘I think you might have avoided putting children into the world until you were both free to marry and have children.’
The Lord blew a bit too soon on the spark,’ said he.
‘I think the Lord had nothing to do with it.……’

I presume blow too soon on the spark is a set phrase, but I don't know its accurate meaning.
Could you please give me some interpretations?
Thank you in advance

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    It isn't really a set phrase, but the meaning is clear. If you are making a fire with a flint and steel (which is what people did before matches were invented), you would strike a spark into tinder, and then blow on it to make it turn into a flame. Mellors is saying that God prematurely caused Connie to become pregnant. Hilda replies that God did not have anything to do with the result.

MilkyBarKid

British English
    They met. They 'had feelings' for each other. Before taking things further, they should have waited until they were "both free to marry and have children". But The Lord blew a bit too soon on the spark of their passion and it burst into flame, a fire they couldn't control... and so she became pregnant.

< Previous | Next >