the made-up word 'transponster' in Friends

T.D

mandarin
Hi all,

I was watching Friends and in that episode when the girls were asked what is Chandler Bing's job, Rachel figured because his work involves transponding, he is a 'transponster', to which Monica screamed 'That's not even a word!'

I got curious and wish to find out what is the correct word for someone who does 'transponding'. To my surprise,transpond/transponding is not a word either, says my dictionary. It does have the word 'transponder', which is a device that receives and transmits signals. But I guess that's not a possible job for a human being.

Then I turned to Wikitionary, which has the word 'transpond' ---- 'to relay a signal between transponders', and that really did not extend my understanding of the word...

I'm out of options but to ask this directly. If someone's job is transponding, what exactly is that job called? (or does this job not exist from the outset?) And, what is the correct root of 'transponding'?

Any help is appreciated.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    I thought the entire "transponding"/"transponster" thing was a running joke in Friends. Quite likely Chandler works with data or statistics. Perhaps he is a data analyst or a statistician, but I don't think it is ever made clear what exactly his job is.

T.D

mandarin
    No. "Transponder" is an amalgam of transmitter and responder. There is no associated verb, and therefore no associated gerund/noun corresponding to the action of the verb.
    Ahh that clears all up. Thanks Uncle Jack.