The main reason that they expect to learn a great deal

< Previous | Next >

AlexFergie

Persian
The British ship Breadalbane sank in the Canadian Arctic, that is, North Pole, on August 21, 1853, after being hit by a coming ice while it was on a rescue mission. The 21 men on it escaped over the ice to a neighboring ship as the Breadalbane went down in 15 minutes. Canadian scientists now report that after a three-year search of records about the ship, they have located it sitting in 110 meters of water. By using a robot camera device, they said they have taken clear pictures of Breadalbane, which has been well protected by the ice and coldest water. <-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

The main reason that they expect to learn a great deal from this ship is that ………….................................
a. no other ship sank in waters so far in the north
b. water flow is very quiet there
c. the camera they are using is a robot
d. the ship has been extremely well protected by the severe cold

My choice is option "c" due to this sentence " By using a robot camera device, they said they have taken clear pictures of Breadalbane" although I'm in two minds about options c and d. would you please help me with your brilliant explanations?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Uncle Jack

British English
    There are a number of errors in the passage you quote, but this does not change the question and answer.

The question is not explicitly answered in the passage, and relies on your understanding of the general situation being described. It might be worth considering the opposite of the proposed answers and seeing if this makes a substantial difference:
    a. no other ship sank in waters so far north / many other ships sank in waters so far north...​

AlexFergie

Persian
    hi Uncle Jack. Thanks a lot for your care and response. Well , according to what you mentioned, you think option "a" could be true. Am I right?

Truffula

English - USA
    Uncle Jack is not telling you that you should use option a.

He is telling you that by considering the opposite of each you might more easily find the answer, and using option a as an example.

---

What you need to consider more carefully is the meaning of "the main reason that they expect to learn a great deal from this ship"

1. Why is this ship likelier to give information than other ships?
    2. What is the best choice when asked for "the main reason" in English?

Consider this question that I have just made up which I think is similar to the one you were asked.

"Helium, priced at $3.75 per cubic meter in 2016, is a gas like air; in fact, air has some helium in it. Because helium is lighter than air, a helium balloon, constructed of latex or nylon fabric, rises. Hydrogen is another gas lighter than air; it is even lighter than helium. Hydrogen is not used in balloons anymore, because it can ignite and explode, while helium is a non-reactive noble gas." (edited, but mostly from https://www.quora.com/Why-is-helium-gas-used-to-fill-balloons-instead-of-hydrogen-gas )

What is the main reason that helium is used to inflate balloons?

a) because it is a noble gas and will not explode
    b) because it is lighter than air
    c) because it is cheap and easily available
    d) because balloons are made of latex or nylon fabric

I would say that in this list, b) is the main reason because the goal is to have the balloons float in the air. a) is the reason helium is the choice over hydrogen, but not the main reason. c) probably also is a reason, as if helium were extremely expensive it would not be a good choice, but again not the main reason. d) is just an additional fact and not a reason at all.

AlexFergie

Persian
    Hi Truffula. Really happy to see you reply to my post. thank you a lot for your fully detailed and elaborated response. let me say something. first of all I think the reading passage you put here about the gas helium is much more simpler and easier than my own because the answer is clearly transparent and everyone can check option "b" as correct one for this test at first glance. Secondly , despite of my tough text ( just my idea) in yours nothing opaque and ambiguous is stated. Through having a careful look at my passage about ship as well as the options, finding the best response for the main reason seems to be challenging and it tries greatly to put the gray cells of brain into an exhausting action. After consuming time for ages, asking from my English teachers, and surfing a wide range of sources , finally I reached option c even though I'm not still certain and sure for my conclusion. Anyway, what do you think, better to say, do you choose among the alternatives?

Truffula

English - USA
    Ok, let me try to give you a hint.

You can learn more from a ship that is better preserved than from one that is worse preserved, in a very direct way.

Can you learn more from a robot camera than a human operated camera? I don't think so, not directly.

AlexFergie

Persian
    Well, after contemplating and inspecting the text closely and thoroughly for a long time as well as reading and surveying the ideas and comments from various sources , I came to the conclusion that due to its protection by the ice and coldest water, option d must be the most appropriate choice. Moreover, without preserving by the severe cold, there is a possibility of losing corner by corner of the ship. Thus, iciness and frigidity of water plays a major role for the scientist to get lots of valuable information from the ship.To sum up, the key words here are ice and coldest water.

< Previous | Next >