the ''mark'' was some scumbag drug dealer

< Previous | Next >

AliBadass

persian
Prison Break (Season 1, Episode 2): The prisoner (Lincoln): ''I was set up. I went there that night to clear a debt. Crab Simmons was on my ass for the 90 grand I owed him. He told me the mark was some scumbag drug dealer and if I took it, we'd be clean.''

What does he mean by ''mark'' here?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Mark (Slang) -> victim; target; person against whom a crime will be committed.

Copyright

American English
    WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English: mark: n. 15. the intended victim of a swindler, hustler, or the like:The cardsharps picked their marks from among the tourists on the cruise ship.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It sounds like his job was to rob the drug dealer and use that money to pay off his debt. (Or, alternatively, part of his debt would be cancelled for doing the job.) A mark is usually someone who is being cheated, but it sounds like this was more of a robbery than a swindle.

AliBadass

persian
    It sounds like his job was to rob the drug dealer and use that money to pay off his debt. (Or, alternatively, part of his debt would be cancelled for doing the job.) A mark is usually someone who is being cheated, but it sounds like this was more of a robbery than a swindle.
    Thanks. So, by ''if I took it'' he means ''if I robbed him and took the money''? OR ''if I took his life, we'd be clean''?

Copyright

American English
    Sounds like "if I took the job," but we don't know what the job was exactly. Perhaps you do from watching the show or reading the script?

AliBadass

persian
    Sounds like "if I took the job," but we don't know what the job was exactly. Perhaps you do from watching the show or reading the script?
    I don't know. The man goes to a garage with a gun holding in his hand pointing to the victim (which is already dead).

kentix

English - U.S.
    we'd be clean
    The more I think about it, the more I'm pretty sure "we'd be clean" means that his debt would be completely forgiven if he did the job. Earlier he says "clear the debt".

We'd be clean = we'd be even = the debt would be cleared = I wouldn't owe him the money any more

< Previous | Next >