the matter and words were the same

Aryana

Persian - Shiraz
Hello everyone:

What does the following passage means? Only the words in bold are intended: It is from Willem Floor, German Sources on Safavid Persia, p. 62. The original German texts belongs to 1621, therefore I will write the whole passage for more clarity.

<-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->
It is a beautiful village and worthy of such a good Lord. Our Envoy showed us his hospitality in many ways. However, the fickleness of my host soon robbed me of my happiness, because he insisted that I had to go to Peane, where his house was. The Envoy allowed this, who was of the opinion that the matter and words were the same. <...>

Thanks a million.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Uncle Jack

British English
    I think, but I am far from certain, that what the Envoy is saying is that the writer should do whatever the host says. "The words" are whatever the host said about the the writer going to Peane. "The matter" is the writer actually going to Peane.

I am rather puzzled by the number of people though. "Our Envoy showed us his hospitality" implies that the Envoy was the host, but the next two sentences imply the host and the Envoy were separate people.

Aryana

Persian - Shiraz
    I think, but I am far from certain, that what the Envoy is saying is that the writer should do whatever the host says. "The words" are whatever the host said about the the writer going to Peane. "The matter" is the writer actually going to Peane.

I am rather puzzled by the number of people though. "Our Envoy showed us his hospitality" implies that the Envoy was the host, but the next two sentences imply the host and the Envoy were separate people.
    Thanks a million, dear Uncle Jack. As always, you saved me.