The meaning of “ground me” ?

boozer

Bulgarian
The link led to many articles in Swedish, which I understand marginally better than Japanese, if at all it could be qualified as 'understanding' :)

Likely it means 'brought me down to earth', i.e. she was somehow disillusioned, but I cannot be sure - I think more context would do no harm...

elroy

Imperfect Mod
US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
This use of "ground" has, um, gained a lot of ground :D in the past, I'd say, ten years or so?

It's hard to explain the meaning. Imagine not feeling like you're stable, like you have "ground" beneath you. This happens when you feel like your life is out of control, or you're not sure what to do with your life, or you're not happy with what you're doing in your life, etc. etc etc.

When you feel grounded, you feel like you have some sense of stability, some sense of internal calm or peace; like you're connected to something; like you're comfortable with where you are in life, not only physically but also emotionally and mentally.

So in this context the writer is saying that Nigeria made him feel grounded, in this sense.

sdgraham

USA English
The extensive LA Times opinion piece was written by a woman who submitted a cheek swab for a DNA test and the report said she was 24% Nigerian.
Previous paragraphs put her use of "ground" into context. For example:
I thought of awkward moments in the past, when some stranger would randomly ask, “Where are you from?” when they couldn’t place my particular blackness.

Now, if I chose, I could offer up a label: My people are from Nigeria.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
The writer is using the verb "ground" in the meaning "connect me emotionally to something". It is 100% about emotions and how a person thinks or feels.

It's "one of those new-age things". In 1950 nobody talked about "grounding". The concept was created more recently.

I have heard the word used in various ways that do not fit OPs examples. Usually "grounding" means "making a person more stable". That is still about emotions, thoughts and feelings but is a little different.

Chasint

English - England
I think that some people have been unnecessarily dismissive of the phrase. Look at the following definition.
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
ground v.t.
to place on a foundation;
fix firmly;
settle or establish;
found.
grounded - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
You can see it as a metaphor. Someone who felt unsettled as to their origins, now feels they know who and what they are. It is as though they are at last standing on solid ground.

Japanese
Thank you for your replies.
I got the meaning of “ ground me”, but it still doesn’t make sense to me especially when I think about the connection with “I was from someplace too.”
I might be able to understand it better after rereading the whole article.

lentulax

UK English
I got the meaning of “ ground me”, but it still doesn’t make sense to me especially when I think about the connection with “I was from someplace too.”
Really, as explained by sdgraham, #5 . Where you are from is often a key part of your sense of identity; up to now, she hasn't known about her origins, she was 'from nowhere', rootless; now like everyone else ('too'), she can identify herself as belonging to a place. etc.

Japanese
Really, as explained by sdgraham, #5 . Where you are from is often a key part of your sense of identity; up to now, she hasn't known about her origins, she was 'from nowhere', rootless; now like everyone else ('too'), she can identify herself as belonging to a place. etc.
Now I got the meaning right after reading your reply.
Thank you all.