the meaning of "most itself" and the usage of "the" with sup

< Previous | Next >

stenka25

South Korea, Han-gul
In the below sentences, I am not sure ❶ what is the meaning of "most itself," and ❷ why there are't 'the' before "most interesting," and "most itself."

If the sentence is okay without 'the,' ❸ is the sentence still proper without 'the' before most beautiful, or ❹ is 'the' before most beautiful is parallel with "most interesting," and "most itself."?

Help me with these complex sentences.

If these cramped question bomb is in violation of this site's question rules, please just help me with ❶ question.

Metaphor shakes things up, giving us everything from shakespeare to scientific discovery in the process. The mind is a plastic snow dome, the most beautiful, most interesting, and most itself, when, as Elvis put it, it's all shook up. And metaphor keeps the mind shaking, rattling and rolling, long after Elvis has left the building.

• Copyright

American English
    I would drop "the" in "the most beautiful" -- and "most itself" means most like what it really is or should be.

owlman5

English-US
    When we say that the mind is "most itself", that means the mind is most comfortable and happy.

Once we have used the definite article "the" in front of a list of things with "most", we don't need to repeat the article for every item in the list:

I want the most expensive, most beautiful, and most admired car in the world.
    As you can see, I only used "the" once in that sentence. I didn't need to repeat it in front of every "most".

To answer your last question, I do think it sounds good to keep "the" in front of "most beautiful". It is the first item in our list of "mosts", so it is a good idea to use the article.

Finally, I want to tell you that I agree that leaving the article out would also work:
    The mind is a plastic snow dome: most beautiful, most interesting, and most itself when--as Elvis put it--it's all shook up.

You'll notice that I changed the punctuation in this sentence with no definite article before the first "most".

Last edited:

stenka25

South Korea, Han-gul
    Thanks for your sincere answer, owlman5.
    Thanks, Copy, for your quick answer.

Thanks a million.

< Previous | Next >