The meaning of the verb 'decorate'.

< Previous | Next >

Fredziu

Polish
Hello everyone,

If I were asked a question like 'How would you decorate your ideal room?' how should I answer it? Should I say:

A) what colour I would paint the walls, what wallpaper I would use?

B) what furniture and furnishings I would put in the room?

C) both A and B?

• Fredziu

Polish
    Thank you, heypresto! If I wanted to hear answer C, should the question be 'How would you decorate and furnish your ideal room?'

Fredziu

Polish
    I would not rule out furniture etc from the concept of decorating, myself. I’d say C was my answer.
    After reading some posts about decorating I understood that there's a difference between BrE and AmE, and that in AmE it might mean both doing the walls and furnishing, whereas in BrE it would just mean painting or papering the walls. Now I'm a bit confused. Is it an example of the influence of AmE on BrE?

If I said: "I'm decorating my room and I want to finish it today," what would a typical Briton understand?

A) I'm painting my room.

B) I'm painting and furnishing my room.

suzi br

English / England
    After reading some posts about decorating I understood that there's a difference between BrE and AmE, and that in AmE it might mean both doing the walls and furnishing, whereas in BrE it would just mean painting or papering the walls. Now I'm a bit confused. Is it an example of the influence of AmE on BrE?

If I said: "I'm decorating my room and I want to finish it today," what would a typical Briton understand?

A) I'm painting my room.

B) I'm painting and furnishing my room.
    It's not confusing, we are not robots, we are allowed to have slightly different views on what things mean. I don't think I am influenced by anything American!
    In this case I'd thing A because the sense of urgency suggests something quickly finished, like a paint job.

But if you said "I'm decorating my room and want to go to Cheshire Oaks later". I'd think you meant B because you obviously want to buy some itmes to decorate the room beyond just paint.

< Previous | Next >