the meaning of the word "rough"

juramic81

Croatian
A blues musician talks about his past and says that he liked hanging out in night clubs. He says: I was eighteen.. I was a bit big for my age and kind of rough, so hanging out in bars was something I was good at. Could you explain the word "rough" in this context? Was he implying that he looked a bit robust to describe his physical appearance? Or did he mean it mentally, and if so, could you give me a synonym? I don't quite catch the meaning..

THNX:)

• Copyright

American English
    Rough means unsophisticated, not socially polished.

Edit: I changed my mind further along.

Last edited:

St. Nick

English
    I don't know, Copyright. I'm getting the feeling that this guy is kind of tough, a person who wouldn't back away from a fistfight.

Copyright

American English
    Reading the passage again (or maybe for the first time :)), I think you're right. Thank you. Rough and tough -- able to handle himself in a variety of situations.

Doc J

U. S. English
    Hello, everybody, the term rough in the context that you provided means difficult, hard time. This usage is very common.

Life was rough ( hard or difficult) when I was young because there was no work in our town.

Copyright

American English
    This is a description of a person, not life. Are you saying that the person was saying: "I was a bit big for my age and kind of difficult, so hanging out in bars was something I was good at."?

Doc J

U. S. English
    Hello Copyright,
    You are right. I was working with another thread and made an error. Clearly, rough in this context means something like undeveloped, unpolished, lacking in awareness. Take care.

< Previous | Next >