the men at one An-Nadzir commune

< Previous | Next >

Lighe

ITALIAN
Hi friends!
Here is the abstract from a National Geographic’s article on Indonesian muslim world:
“Mirroring the prophet, the men at one An-Nadzir commune in South Sulawesi shun technology, tie their turbans and dye their hair as they think Muhammad did, and condemn all forms of violence.”

The general meaning is clear for me, but my doubts are about the phrase “the men at one An-Nadzir commune”.

Could I paraphrase the expression like that:”the men in a commune called An-Nadzir”?
In this case “at” would be a place preposition.

Another possibility is that “at one” stands for “in accord” but in this case I cannot find the word which links “the men” to “An-Nadzir commune”.

Which is the right option?

Thanks a lot in advance.

• Loob

English UK
    Hi again Lighe

It's definitely at ... one An-Nadzir commune - in other words, the "at" is a preposition of place, not part of the expresssion "at one".

I don't think the commune is 'called' An-Nadzir, though; An-Nadzir is, as I understand it, a sect.

MichaelW

English (British)
    There are several An-Nazdir communes and the writer is referring to one particular commune amongst them, and to the men who live at this one commune.

< Previous | Next >