the mingiest set of ladylike snipe ever invented: full of conceit of themselves, frightened even if

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 319, chapter 15) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Connie asked Mellors whether he's happy as an officer and a gentleman, after his Colonel was dead, then Mellors said no and continued to talk…… )

‘The Colonel used to say: Lad, the English middle classes have to chew every mouthful thirty times because their guts are so narrow, a bit as big as a pea would give them a stoppage. They’re the mingiest set of ladylike snipe ever invented: full of conceit of themselves, frightened even if their boot-laces aren’t correct, rotten as , and always in the right. That’s what finishes me up. Kow-tow, kow-tow, arse-licking till their tongues are tough: yet they’re always in the right. Prigs on top of everything. ……’

What's the meaning of the blue sentence please? I think I can basically understand it, but not quite sure of the details. Now I rephrase it as follow:
they are the the most stingy and ungenerous group(=the mingies set), who are contemptible, as narrow-minded as ladies(=ladylike snipe), ever created (by God)(=ever invented), over- selfconfident of themselves, and (they are) frightened even if their boot-laces aren't correct. Rotten as (they are)(=rotten as), (they think they are) always right.

Is that right please?
Thank you in advance
By the way, I don't mean to offend ladies here by as narrow-minded as ladies, because in Chinese culture, women are usually thought narrow-minded, even if this viewpoint might be wrong.

Last edited:
  • Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    they are the the most stingy and ungenerous group(=the mingies set), who are like birds(=snipe) [bird-like creatures? ]as narrow-minded as ladies worthy of being called ladies(=ladylike), ever created (by God)(=ever invented), over- selfconfident of themselves, and (they were are) frightened even if their boot-laces aren't correct. .
    Rotten as high game (rotten as rotting meat) and always right.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you a lot. And sorry for the errors. But before you reply, I have corrected them. And who are like birds has been changed into who are contemptible.
    And if a man is called a lady, what does it mean? And is your Rotten as high game (rotten as rotting meat) a set phrase? If not, how did you figure out rotting meat or high game(in fact, I don't know what's high game) please?:):)

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I'm not sure where "contemptible and narrow-minded" comes from?

The original text say "Rotten as high game"
    Game = wild animals hunted for food/sport
    High = (of meat, especially game) tending toward a desirable or undesirable amount of decomposition; slightly tainted:
    He likes his venison high.

< Previous | Next >