the miracle of life/a miracle of life/the article

kansi

japanese
I got this part in the book called life of pi.
I have some questions about the part "the miracle of life".

❶Do we understand it as "a miracle that happens in a life" or "the miracle called life"?

❷When we understand it as "a miracle that happens in a life", I thought we could also say "a miracle of life" instead. Can we say that instead?
"a miracle of life" means that
there are some miracles that happens in a life and that's any one of the miracles, which I think fits the concept here.
The use of that "a" is just same as these three example sentences.
◎That man is a scoundrel.
◎We are looking for an apartment.
◎I need a chair.

❸"the miracle of life" as it stands means, I believe, "the whole group of miracles in life".Do I understand it right?
I think the use of that "the" is just same as these three example sentences.
◎The wolf is not really a dangerous animal. (= Wolves are not really dangerous animals.)
◎The kangaroo is found only in Australia. (= Kangaroos are found only in Australia.)
◎The heart pumps blood around the body. (= Hearts pump blood around bodies.)

❹Finally, when we can say both "a miracle of life" and "the miracle of life",fitting in the context there, which Do we likely to say? I guess "the miracle of life". If any reason there, please tell me.

Sometimes I got my majors mixed up. A number of my fellow religious-studies students - muddled agnostics who didn't know which way was up, who were in the thrall of reason, that fool's gold for the bright - reminded me of the three-toed sloth; and the three-toed sloth, such a beautiful example of the miracle of life, reminded me of God.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The miracle of life is a set phrase, meaning "the miracle that is life".

If you want to use it to mean something else, can you please give us a complete example sentence? Thanks.

kansi

japanese
    The miracle of life is a set phrase, meaning "the miracle that is life".

If you want to use it to mean something else, can you please give us a complete example sentence? Thanks.
    Thank you!!

just to make sure, can you give me some examples sentences with of used same to that "of" in the miracle of life?
    or give me some keywords for me to put in the box to find such examples?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    A computer is a miracle of modern technology. (It's just one of the many miracles technology has come up with).

kansi

japanese
    A computer is a miracle of modern technology. (It's just one of the many miracles technology has come up with).
    Thank you!

In the same sense, can we also say "a miracle of life" instead in the sentences I posted about?

*I added the bold part.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >