The morning was longer than I expected / The morning lasted longer than I expected.

roxanelag

Spanish-Spain
Hi everyone. I'm in huge hurry so I'm getting straight to the point.
I'm correcting a piece of writing for a friend and I've come across this sentence 'The morning was longer than I expected'.
I sounds a bit strange to me. I would say 'The morning lasted longer than I expected', but I'm not sure. I have doubts at this moment.
The context is going out for a beer or something and running into friends and so, you end up getting home much later that expected.
Thank you very much.
Regards

• suzi br

English / England
    It is rather weird because a morning can only be the number of hours we class as morning, between dawn and midday.
    I suppose we DO say things like this, which are not totally logical, but I would re-phrase it myself "I stayed out longer than I expected" for instance.

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    Or, perhaps, depending on context "The morning flew by and the next minute is was 3 p.m." "The morning ran into the afternoon.." i.e "the morning's activities continued into the afternoon"

roxanelag

Spanish-Spain
    It is rather weird because a morning can only be the number of hours we class as morning, between dawn and midday.
    I suppose we DO say things like this, which are not totally logical, but I would re-phrase it myself "I stayed out longer than I expected" for instance.
    Or, perhaps, depending on context "The morning flew by and the next minute is was 3 p.m." "The morning ran into the afternoon.." i.e "the morning's activities continued into the afternoon"
    Or, What I had planned for the morning (the going out for a beer) ended up taking longer than I thought (because of running into friends).
    Totally agreed! :) Sometimes, you try not to change too much what people write, and you end up doing something that's neither here nor there. That's what's happened this morning.
    Thanks a lot. I'll take a closer look to your answers at night, because I've read very interenting ways of saying this 'thing'.
    Best regards!!

< Previous | Next >