the most fashionable inner-city coffee shops

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
Hi,

Does the word inner-city sound natural in the following?

Turmeric drinks became popular in the West when customers began to request turmeric lattes at the most fashionable inner-city coffee shops.

I'd appreciate your help.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    We can't tell without more context whether you've used the phrase correctly or not. What are you trying to say about where the coffee shops are located?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It is certainly possible for a coffee shop in the inner city to be fashionable. The point here, however, is whether you you wanted "inner-city" in your sentence to have the meaning Myridon posted. If you simply wanted to refer to coffee shops located in urban or downtown areas, there are better alternatives.

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
    It is certainly possible for a coffee shop in the inner city to be fashionable. The point here, however, is whether you you wanted "inner-city" in your sentence to have the meaning Myridon posted. If you simply wanted to refer to coffee shops located in urban or downtown areas, there are better alternatives.
    Is it possible for "inner-city" to refer to cities away from the coast, as in Australia?

suzi br

English / England
    Inner-city denotes some level of deprivation.
    It doesn’t work in your original sentence. Urban is better for fashionable things.

suzi br

English / England
    I’m not an Australian so I cannot say.

As a general observation: Not everyone who writes is writing what other people would consider to be “good” writing. Just because you can find something on-line it doesn’t necessarily mean you should emulate it.

For all I know these are poorly written by Aussie standards.

I can only tell you it sounds wrong to me as a Brit.

< Previous | Next >