The mountain rises <to the height of nine thousand and fifty feet>

< Previous | Next >

park sang joon

Korean
The mountain rises to the height of nine thousand and fifty feet and is crowned by three peaks.
<Of Biblical Geography and History by Charles Foster Kent>
I don't think if we omit "to the height of nine thousand and fifty feet", the sentence ha any meaning.
So I'd like to know here "to the height of nine thousand and fifty feet" is a complement, not an adverbial phrase.
Thank you in advance for your help.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    You're right in saying that the sentence doesn't really make sense without the prepositional phrase. However, this doesn't mean it can't be considered an adverb phrase.

I went to Budapest but not to Prague.

If you omit the prepositional phrases, you are left with I went but not, which doesn't make sense. Nevertheless, to Budapest and to Prague are still considered adverb phrases.

In generative syntax, however, the phrase may in fact be considered a complement. I can't remember if that's the case, but in generative syntax, different things are taken into account in analyzing sentences and classifying their constituent parts. Are you interested in a formal linguistic analysis? Do you have to draw a syntax tree for this sentence?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >