This is a line from The Fifth Season by Machiavel
< --- >
< --- >
A rainbow of eight colours was hanging in the sky
Offered by the gods for the new season
Under a cleaned sky, as far as its blue bark
The mural notches bustled up like bursting scales
< --- >
I've realized that I don't quite understand the meaning of this particular line. Can anybody explain?

Edited to comply with 4-line limit on quoted lyrics.
Full lyrics here
: The Fifth Season - Machiavel
Cagey, moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
  • GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Other than the composer, probably not. Your guess at what this deliberately cryptic string of words is supposed to mean is just as good as anyone else's. I would call it meaningless gibberish, but I am inclined to be cynical.

lingobingo

English - England
    None of the band members seem to be native English-speakers. But I doubt if the lyrics would make any more sense in another language. :D

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Searching the internet, I find that a 'mural' can be an astronomical instrument attached to a wall (hence, 'mural') used to measure angles. If that's what they have in mind, the notches would be the increasing units of measurements. However, I do not understand how this instrument works, nor how the reference would fit into the context.

I agree with the others that this is highly allusive language, and obscure to most English speakers.

Ref: Mural instrument - Wikipedia

Added: The WR dictionary also has this definition of mural as an adjective.:
    6. pertaining to any of several astronomical instruments that were affixed to a wall aligned on the plane of a meridian, and were formerly used to measure the altitude of celestial bodies:​

jbionic2010

Hindi
    So if I understood your point correctly, the original lyrics for the song was likely to be written in other language, such as French, and presumably later it was translated into English with the loss of some part of its meaning.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    So if I understood your point correctly, the original lyrics for the song was likely to be written in other language, such as French, and presumably later it was translated into English with the loss of some part of its meaning.
    Maybe. But in general "prose" is designed to communicate clear meanings, while "poetry" is not. Song lyrics are "poetry". A great many song lyrics don't make sense -- I am surprised that I understand some of the lines.

< Previous | Next >