The name of Šubši-mašrâ-šakkan of the Ludlul bēl nēmeqi

vxp

German and Chilean Spanish
Dear forum,

the (as it would appear) protagonist of the Sumero-Akkadian/Babylonian/Mesopotamian poem "Ludlul bēl nēmeqi" carries the name of Šubši-mašrâ-šakkan, which none of the sources available to me provide a translation of. Šakkan, particularly as it appears to have been transcribed employing the DIĜIR cuneiform sign, I take to refer to Šumukan/Šumugan/Šakkan and mašrâ as the oblique or accusative singular of mašrû, viz. wealth, etc. pp. - Šubši, however, I'm unsure concerning, leaving two possibilites:

1) Šubtu + -ši, viz. dwelling + 3f-ACC enclitic pronoun, e.g. "her dwelling" (rendering: "Šakkan is her(?) dwelling of wealth") - or, possibly more likely:
2) Šubšu, viz. the infinitive of š-b-š/š-b-s, viz. "to turn away in anger (esp. from the gods)", either
2a) in the genitive(!) case, or
2b) + -i/-ī, viz. 1p-GEN enclitic pronoun, e.g. "my turning away from [ ... ]"

2b) would thus render: "My turning away in anger from the wealth of Šakkan" - naturally being an unusual VO construction - which in the context of the poem would not only make quite a bit of sense rather than also provide for a rather sublime juxtaposition and yet also make for a rather strange name to be addressed by, considering there are extant records concerning said individual by that name.

Hence, I would very much appreciate input on this subtle matter from someone more versed in Babylonian than I am.

Last edited: