the Navy should thereby admit...

betulina

català - Catalunya
Hi,

I'm not sure I understand this sentence right:

"The cabinet met and it was decided that the Royal Navy would not protect British shipping. There was a major uproar in the House of Commons that the world’s greatest naval power should thereby admit to being unable to protect British merchantmen."

Is it the same as saying that "because the world's greatest naval power had admit to being able to protect British merchantmen, there was a major uproar in the House of Commons"? It's those "that" and "should" that make me think I might be wrong.
It's during a period of the Spanish Civil War.

Thank you for any help!

PS. Sorry if the title is not accurate, I didn't know what to put in it...

• difficult cuss

English England
    ...because the world's greatest naval power had admitted to being unable to protect British merchantmen, there was a major uproar in the House of Commons

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It is just a little more complex than has been suggested.

The cabinet met and it was decided that the Royal Navy would not protect British shipping.
    Some people in the House of Commons felt that this decision might be misunderstood.
    They feared that others might think it meant that the Navy could not protect British shipping - was incapable of protecting British shipping.

What caused the uproar was that the cabinet's decision might be taken as an admission of weakness.

< Previous | Next >