the Neverland had again <woke> into life

shaneblue

chinese
Feeling that Peter was on his way back, the Neverland had again woke into life. We ought to use the pluperfect and say wakened, but woke is better and was always used by Peter.

——Peter Pan

About the difference between "woke" and "wakened", why the author and Peter believes "woke" is better?

• tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    Peter Pan is boastful and conceited, The author is making fun of the fact that if Peter Pan claims something, it must be right (even when it is clearly wrong).

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Woke" is an older and alternative past participle. Today it sounds poetic. I don't know how common it was at the time Peter Pan was written.

rhitagawr

British English
    I agree with Boozer, although my dictionary (Chambers) gives woke as a rare past participle. I'd say You've woke me up (transitively). But this is colloquial and arguably wrong. If the play was written in 1904, bear in mind that the English language has changed a bit since then. The weak form in -ed sounds old-fashioned and formal to me.

shaneblue

chinese
    Thank you all for your help! I think
    Peter Pan is boastful and conceited, The author is making fun of the fact that if Peter Pan claims something, it must be right (even when it is clearly wrong).
    this must be the correct interpretation!

< Previous | Next >