'the newness you are going to birth into this world'

Frida Espinosch

Spanish and Catalan
Hi there!

I'm translating a play called The Ritual Slaughter of Gorge Mastromas and I came across with this sentece that sounds a bit ungrammatical to me because the word 'brith' cannot possibly function as a verb, or can it?

'And all those things you believe in, the newness you are going to birth into this world, none of it is real.'

A man's talking to a boy and he's saying that spring repeats itlsef year in, year out and it gives the false impression that every year something new is born, but it's not -a metaphor for life.

I would paraphrase the underlined sentence like this: 'the new things you bring into this world'. What do you think?

Thank you!!!! ;)

• Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Southern US dialect, I suppose.

Have look at this information from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language:
    Until recently the use of birth as a verb meaning "to bear (a child)" has been confined to Southern speech: "Heap o' good it do a woman to birth a mess o' young uns and raise 'em and then have 'em all go off to oncet" (Marjorie K. Rawlings). Recently, however, the nonstandard Southern usage has coincided with widespread usage of verbs derived from nouns, such as parent, network, and microwave. Birth in this new usage is most commonly found in its present participial form and is used as an adjective in compounds such as birthing center.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/birth

< Previous | Next >