"the next big thing" vs. "the next best model"

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Would "the next best model" work well in this context as the set phrase "the next big thing"?

You notice that the author in the subtitle has written "the next top model organism." So it should be changed accordingly to avoid the redundancy of expression.

The question of this thread is whether "the next best model in genetics" works fine.
Because "in genetics" appears to be already very specific and "the next best model" would make the idea crystal clear. (But the problem is the use of the word "best", which seems too pompous, too arbitrary. I am not sure.)

Small, furry and powerful: are mouse lemurs the next big thing in genetics?
More-human than mice, the world’s tiniest primates may just have what it takes to become the next top model organism.

Source: Nature 12 JUNE 2019
Small, furry and powerful: are mouse lemurs the next big thing in genetics?

• kentix

English - U.S.
    Two problems.
    1) "Next best" has its own meaning. It means second place.The best thing would be if I could get the job I applied for at Google. The next best thing would be to get the job I applied for at Microsoft.
    2) The Next Top Model organism is (I believe) a play on the name of a popular TV show called "Next Top Model". I think the full name might be something like "America's Next Top Model" (I've never seen the show.) You destroy that cultural reference when you change the words.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Are you simply practising changing things or do you think it should be changed? It is already crystal clear (to me, at least :)) The next big thing is established as an expression and the subtitle has been explained (in reference to a show I don't watch, so I would have missed the allusion :thumbsup:).

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Only through this process that I come to understand the excellent clarity of the original.:)

A teacher commends students for correctly reciting good texts. For writers, things are different. Writers should use their own words. You have to enrich yourself by different ways.

kentix

English - U.S.
    This part sounded exactly like something they might say on a show like that.

may just have what it takes to become the next top model organism.

And sure enough:

The Official ANTM Casting Team has started its search for ANTM Cycle 22! We are casting men and women on Top Model! If you feel you have what it takes to be our next top model...

I wonder what casting call the lemurs went to.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    This part sounded exactly like something they might say on a show like that.

may just have what it takes to become the next top model organism.

And sure enough:

The Official ANTM Casting Team has started its search for ANTM Cycle 22! We are casting men and women on Top Model! If you feel you have what it takes to be our next top model...

I wonder what casting call the lemurs went to.
    But wait, there's more:eek: The title of one of the figures is another TV reference "All in the family" - see All in the Family - Wikipedia
    Who knew Nature news articles were so with-it:)?

< Previous | Next >