the next days/weeks/years/decades

albert_laosong

Mandarin
Hi, I'm under the impression that when you say "in/over the next days/weeks/years/decades", there has to be a modifier after "next", like "in/over the next two/several/few days/weeks/years/decades".

But I just searched some news media websites, it seems that "in/over the next days/weeks/years/decades" is commonly used. Please see the screenshots below. Could you help confirm if it's ok to use, or it's dubious but may be acceptable?

Thanks a lot!
2021-09-23_231239.png

2021-09-23_231227.png

• albert_laosong

Mandarin
    Yes, "in the next few days" would sound absolutely natural, but from the above search results it seems that "in the next days" is ok too. However, sentences like "the test result will come out in the next days" sounds really weird.

So maybe they are ok in certain specific contexts?

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, it's sometimes used that way. With some sort of time period included is much more common, but that isn't absolutely required.

Especially in the "next days and weeks" examples, it gives you a good idea of the intended time scale without a direct mention of a time. Days and weeks excludes years and a large number of months.

I would think of a few days to a few weeks and, at most, two or three months.