the next football to be snatched away

Aidanriley

English
Today too many Democrats are playing Charlie Brown to Bush’s Lucy. Just as they started talking about a quagmire, the war was won. Next football to be snatched away: WMD [weapons of mass destruction]. At the precise moment this week or next that the liberals proclaim that Iraq has no chemical weapons after all, they’ll finally turn up in Syria or some bunker. Promise.

I think the next football to be snatched away refers to the image attached (and found here) where Lucy snatches the football away as Charley goes to kick it, and then falls on his head, but even if that is the correct reference I'm not sure what it would mean here.

Attachments

• ewie

English English
    Yes, I think you're right, Mr.R. I guess what the whole thing means is like this:
    The liberals are planning a big announcement [Charlie Brown is running up to kick the oddly-shaped 'football';)]
    The Bushites are [Lucy is] waiting in the wings to 'squash' that announcement [pull CB's ball away at the last minute]

Or am I missing something?

Aidanriley

English
    Yes, I think you're right, Mr.R. I guess what the whole thing means is like this:
    The liberals are planning a big announcement [Charlie Brown is running up to kick the oddly-shaped 'football';)]
    The Bushites are [Lucy is] waiting in the wings to 'squash' that announcement [pull CB's ball away at the last minute]

Or am I missing something?
    Aah, thanks ewie. I like your interpretation. :)

< Previous | Next >