the next weekend

Akasaka

Japanese
Hello members,
I have a question concerning this sentence below.
The soccer match was called off due to the heavy snow. The teams agreed to play the match the next weekend instead.

If I omit "the", does it make any difference?

Thanks in advance.

• lingobingo

English - England
    “Next weekend” is used when talking about the present: “I have a ticket for the match next weekend.”

When talking about the past, as in your example, you need to say the next (or, even better, the following) weekend.

Akasaka

Japanese
    I'm sorry for my unclear explanation.
    Can I say if the match will be held next weekend (, wich is, of course, in the near future), "The teams agreed to play the match next weekend instead."?

I hope I was able to make myself clear.

Thanks in advance.

Forero

USA English
    I'm sorry for my unclear explanation.
    Can I say if the match will be held next weekend (, wich is, of course, in the near future), "The teams agreed to play the match next weekend instead."?

I hope I was able to make myself clear.

Thanks in advance.
    Yes. If you really mean the weekend after this very weekend, don't include "the".

kentix

English - U.S.
    But you ought to also change "The teams agreed" to "The teams have agreed". You are in the middle of something with current effect. It won't be in the past until after next weekend.

Akasaka

Japanese
    Thank you, kentix.
    The teams agreed to play the match next weekend instead, but they called it off again today.
    Is this sentence possible?

Last edited:

S1m0n

English
    It depends how formal you want to be. "But they called it off again today" is a subordinate clause that you're using as a complete sentence. People speak this way all the time, but it's usually considered an error in formal written english.

Forero

USA English
    Thank you, kentix.
    The teams agreed to play the match next weekend instead, but they called it off again today.
    Is this sentence possible?
    Yes, and there is no reason to add "have".

For example, suppose that the teams called off the match on Monday, August 26, but made an agreement on Wednesday, August 28, to play the match on Saturday, September 14, then they called the match off again on the morning of September 7 and the sentence is spoken on the afternoon of September 7, it is perfectly correct and true.

< Previous | Next >