the nights of vengeance have just begun

< Previous | Next >

Kolridg

Russian
The days of hiding in shadows are over, but the nights of vengeance have just begun.
Just another casual sentence from my English-Russian context dictionary. In translated version of the sentence the part "but the nights of vengeance have just begun." is interpreted as "but the nights of vengeance are only in their begining". Meantime, I know that "have just begun" is usually translated as "has started very recently", so I decided to check at forum if my context dictionary's interpretation is okey, and therefore "to be only in the beginning" is the second possible interpretation of "have just begun".

• Uncle Jack

British English
    There is no conflict between the two meanings. Literally, it does mean that the thing started very recently, but "have just begun" would not be said of something that is also just about to finish; the expectation is that it will continue for some time, and that you are still near the beginning of it.

Kolridg

Russian
    I find your explanation very good and I'm sure I have understood about the two meanings you mean. But of course my interpretation (meaning) "but the nights of vengeance are only in their begining" is wrong, though is close to what is meant in real. The mistake was I thought "just" is interpreted like "only" in the second meaning, but now I know that it is not so.

< Previous | Next >