The number and the name of a school in a non-English speaking country

StewieG

Polish
In Poland high schools are numbered and they are almost always named after someone (or a group of people) or something. So the full name of a typical high school would look like this:

IX Liceum Ogólnokształcące im. Józefa Piłsudskiego w Gdyni which means the number of the school is 9, it is a general high school (as opposed to e.g. a technikum - a technical high school), and it is named after Józef Piłsudski. How do I include all of this information so it looks natural for an English-speaking person?

• Chez

English English
    I don't know, but I'd suggest:

Józef Piłsudski General High School 9

It looks a bit strange, but we would accept that this is how you name your high schools in your country.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    In my own city, it is common for public elementary schools and middle schools to have both a number and a name. For example, Junior High School 67 in Queens is also called "Louis Pasteur", and Public School 3 in Manhattan is also called "The John Melser Charette School." You therefore might refer to General High School #9 "Józef Piłsudski".

Chasint

English - England
    How is the numbering done? Is it a unique identifier? Is there only a single IX in the whole of Poland? Is it the ninth school founded by Józef Piłsudski?

StewieG

Polish
    Schools are numbered in every city which has more than one. So IX Liceum Ogólnokształcące im. Józefa Piłsudskiego w Gdyni is one of at least nine high schools in Gdynia. It was not founded by Piłsudski, the name simply honors him.

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Schools are numbered in every city which has more than one. So IX Liceum Ogólnokształcące im. Józefa Piłsudskiego w Gdyni is one of at least nine high schools in Gdynia. It was not founded by Piłsudski, the name simply honors him.
    This sounds exactly like the New York City system that GWB and I are familiar with. The only difference is that we generally don't use the two parts together. So we will say e.g. either "PS 41" (=public school 41) or Village Elementary School, but not normally both together.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I would go along the lines of Chez's suggestion. In some English-speaking places 'Secondary School' is used instead of 'High School', therefore Józef Piłsudski General Secondary School No 9.

< Previous | Next >