The number of dead in human history is over 16 billion.

newname

Vietnamese
Hi everyone,

<< --- The number of dead in human history is over 16 billion. --- >>

As far as I know 'dead' is an adjective and here it's used as a noun. I think 'deaths' is the correct word. What do you think?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Biffo

English - England
    "The number of dead" is a very impersonal way of saying "the number of dead people". This way of writing originates in military reports, e.g.

Casualties -The battle of Xtown
    27 dead
    50 walking wounded
    10 missing in action
    etc

Where did you find this text? Who wrote it?

Cryan leaves and we do as ordered.
    Golf Company has ten dead and twenty-four wounded, No one's missing in action. The rest of the battalion has seventeen dead and eighteen wounded. We finally have them staged in one area that we hope will be accessible for helicopters in the morning. Right now, it's too damn dark to tell. We dread having to move everyone again.

Walking Wounded: Memoir of a Combat Veteran By Fred Tomasello Jr.

Last edited:

newname

Vietnamese
    "The number of dead" is a very impersonal way of saying "the number of dead people". This way of writing originates in military reports, e.g.

Casualties -The battle of Xtown
    27 dead
    50 walking wounded
    10 missing in action
    etc

Where did you find this text? Who wrote it?

Cryan leaves and we do as ordered.
    Golf Company has ten dead and twenty-four wounded, No one's missing in action. The rest of the battalion has seventeen dead and eighteen wounded. We finally have them staged in one area that we hope will be accessible for helicopters in the morning. Right now, it's too damn dark to tell. We dread having to move everyone again.

Walking Wounded: Memoir of a Combat Veteran By Fred Tomasello Jr.

Thank you a lot.
    This quote is from an English textbook for learners in Asia and it's not in a millary context but a scientific one. If it were a report as you wrote above, I would not have asked this question. But that doesn't matter as I understand it perfectly now.

Again thank you for the detailed answer.

< Previous | Next >