the numbers of vs the number of

looker22

Chinese
Hello everyone,

The following questions have been bothering me. When describing the chart, should I use "the number/percentage of" or "the numbers/percentages of" in this sentence? Thanks for your kind help.

(1a) The bar chart illustrates the number of museums and museum visitors from 2020 to 2022.
(1a) The bar chart illustrates the numbers of museums and museum visitors from 2020 to 2022.
1669693582408.png

(2a) The bar chart illustrates the percentage of divorces in Finland and Sweden.
(2b) The bar chart illustrates the percentages of divorces in Finland and Sweden.

1669690525544.png

Attachments

• 1669690432208.png
    1669690432208.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
  • dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    (1a) The bar chart illustrates the number of museums and museum visitors from 2020 to 2022.
    There is something wrong with this chart. How could there be 1000 museums in 2020, but only 800 museum visitors in 2020? That is less than 1 visitor to each museum, in a year! If that happened, all the museums would close.

looker22

Chinese
    There is something wrong with this chart. How could there be 1000 museums in 2020, but only 800 museum visitors in 2020? That is less than 1 visitor to each museum, in a year! If that happened, all the museums would close.
    I changed the first chart regarding the museums and their visitors. Will you please check my question again?

(1a) The bar chart illustrates the numbers of museums and museum visitors from 2020 to 2022.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Thanks for your answer. Could I say "The chart shows the percentage of marriage rates"?
    Please read #2 again: dojibear has given you the answer.
    I changed the first chart regarding the museums and their visitors
    It is clear that you do not understand graphs. As dojibear pointed out, the graph is wrong. It indicates that there were 1,200 museums and, on average, each museum had 1.33 visitors.

looker22

Chinese
    Thanks for your answer.

Q1:I am wondering whether another sentence is right. According to your reply, "The chart shows the percentage of marriage rates" seems to be wrong. Will you please tell me why the sentence is wrong? Can "the percentage of" match "marriage rate"?

Q2:As for the first chart, let's suppose each museum had 1.33 visitors on average. When describing the chart, which sentence can be used?

It is clear that you do not understand graphs. As dojibear pointed out, the graph is wrong. It indicates that there were 1,200 museums and, on average, each museum had 1.33 visitors.

1669727098369.png

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I am wondering whether another sentence is right.
    It is not. I cannot understand why you have not read #2.
    Can "the percentage of" match "marriage rate"?
    Not in your case. You should take time to understand what a percentage is and what a rate is. Graphs and charts should be clearly labelled:

The chart below shows the number of men and women rescued by the fire service from 2020 to 2022 inclusive:

Graph.png

looker22

Chinese
    It is not. I cannot understand why you have not read #2.

Not in your case. You should take time to understand what a percentage is and what a rate is. Graphs and charts should be clearly labelled:

The chart below shows the number of men and women rescued by the fire service from 2020 to 2022 inclusive:

View attachment 79325
    Thanks for your reminder. I have read #2 twice, but I didn't understand why until read it a third time. And I will mark more clearly.

As for the new sentence, will you please tell me the reason why you didn't use "the numbers of men and women"? I searched online and got different answers. Some believe the singular "number" should be used, while other people believe the plural form should be used. Thank you again.

The chart below shows the number of men and women rescued by the fire service from 2020 to 2022 inclusive.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Some believe the singular "number" should be used, while other people believe the plural form should be used.
    Because graphs and charts like these are used to find or visualise a number at a certain time.