The obituary of Anne Frank

Anne Frank

Russian
Hi!
Could anyone tell me who wrote this:

Anne Frank, noted Dutch novelist and essayist, died Wednesday at her home in Amsterdam. She was 89.

A survivor of Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen, Frank achieved a measure of fame that was hard won. In her 20s she struggled to find a publisher for her first book,
"The House Behind." The two-part memoir consisted of a short first section detailing her family’s life in hiding in Amsterdam, followed by a much longer and more gripping account of her experiences at Auschwitz, where her mother and others who had hidden with her family were murdered, and later at Bergen-Belsen, where she witnessed her sister Margot’s horrific death.

Disfigured by a brutal beating, Frank rarely granted interviews; her later work,
"The Return," describes how her father did not recognize her upon their reunion in 1945. "The House Behind" was searing and accusatory: The family’s initial hiding place, mundane and literal in the first section, is revealed in the second part to be a metaphor for European civilization, whose facade of high culture concealed a demonic evil. “Every flat, every house, every office building in every city,” she wrote, “they all have a House Behind.” The book drew respectful reviews, but sold few copies.

She supported herself as a journalist, and in 1961 traveled to Israel to cover the trial of Adolf Eichmann for the Dutch press. She earned special notoriety for her fierce reporting on the Nazi henchman’s capture, an extradition via kidnapping that the Argentine elite condemned.

Frank soon found the traction to publish
Margot, a novel that imagined her sister living the life she once dreamed of, as a midwife in the Galilee. A surreal work that breaks the boundaries between novel and memoir, and leaves ambiguous which of its characters are dead or alive, Margot became wildly popular in Israel. Its English translation allowed Frank to find a small but appreciative audience in the United States.

Frank’s subsequent books and essays continued to win praise, if not popularity, earning her a reputation as a clear-eyed prophet carefully attuned to hypocrisy. Her readers will long remember the words she wrote in her diary at 15, included in the otherwise naive first section of
"The House Behind": “I don’t believe that the big men are guilty of the war, oh no, the little man is just as guilty, otherwise the peoples of the world would have risen in revolt long ago! There’s in people simply an urge to destroy, an urge to kill, to murder and rage, and until all mankind without exception undergoes a great change, wars will be waged, everything that has been built up, cultivated and grown will be cut down and disfigured, and mankind will have to begin all over again.”

Her last book, a memoir, was titled
"To Begin Again."
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Had Anne written it by herself? As far as I could remember there was nothing like this in the diary...
The source is this

• Graciela J

Spanish - Argentina
    You mean it's just the author's imagination?
    I assume that you know that Anne Frank died in 1945 in a concentration camp when she was 15, don't you? She could not have died in her home in Amsterdam when she was 89; she could not have "traveled in 1961 to Israel to cover the trial of Adolf Eichmann for the Dutch press".

The article says:

"Consider, if you will, the following imaginary obituary of a life unlived:"

Dara Horn is imagining what would have been Anne Frank's life if she had survived the Holocaust and had died of old age.

Anne Frank

Russian
    I assume that you know that Anne Frank died in 1945 in a concentration camp when she was 15, don't you? She could not have died in her home in Amsterdam when she was 89; she could not have "traveled in 1961 to Israel to cover the trial of Adolf Eichmann for the Dutch press".

The article says:

"Consider, if you will, the following imaginary obituary of a life unlived:"

Dara Horn is imagining what would have been Anne Frank's life if she had survived the Holocaust and had died of old age.
    Now when I think about it, I should've guessed it earlier, I just thought that was kind of quotation. Thank you a lot.

< Previous | Next >