The OCTAVIA RS is an athlete, but not a jock

maayani

Hebrew
Hello,

The OCTAVIA RS is an athlete, but not a jock.

Can you explain me this sentence? What's the idea here?
The context: exhibition of cars.

What's the idea here?

Thanks in advance.

• reno33

English - USA
    The idea here is:

The Octavia RS is a beautiful car that performs like an athlete as far as speed, maneuverability (sp?) and so on....but........it looks too sleek.....too smooth......lines are too fine.....too elegant and so on. It's not a car a "real man" (jock) would want to be seen in. It lacks the roughness that appeals to outdoor-type men. It's too wine and shrimp rather than beer and beef. (I just made that up).

Last edited:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The writer is attempting to convince the reader to imagine the car in a certain way.

Imagine that this car is an olympic athlete...but don't imagine that this car is an ordinary "jock" (athlete).

Mentally, please connect the word "athlete" with this car. But don't connect the word "jock" with this car.

Obviously, it is pure nonsense. But it is a common way to sell things.

Packard

USA, English
    I would more naturally expect "it is more thoroughbred than plow horse", imagery that I can relate to.

I was not familiar with the Octavia RS so I looked it up, and this athlete reference appears to be simply advertising hype. It looks like a perfectly ordinary car to me.

Packard

USA, English
    I guess advertising companies need to invent new words -- otherwise they don't get paid. :D
    Yeah, in this case it is more of a "sow's ear" than a silk purse. But yes, ad men have to come up with fresh phrasing or they won't capture the audiences' attention. Certainly "sow's ear/silk purse" would not play in 2019.

reno33

English - USA
    From Picture: Except for the tomato color, it looks like any ordinary old fuddy-duddy's car.

< Previous | Next >