Vinh Huy

Vietnamese
Dear Sirs or madams,
Please help me out.
The context:
The knowledge involved in the experience of beauty is also a
special form of knowledge just as the desire that is involved in
beauty is a special kind of desire. The knowledge involved in the
experience of beauty consists in comprehending, almost embracing, its object. Not just in making analytical or discursive statements about it, like two plus two equals four or x is y or some
statement of fact; truth or the ordinary mean by logical truth exists
in such statements.

Please explain to me the above underlined phrase.
This is the first time I have come in this forum. If there is any mistake I made in this thread, forgive me.
Thank you for your time.

Vinh Huy

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Vinh Huy. I can't make any sense out of the underlined phrase. Perhaps some other member will see something that I have missed.

Please tell us the name of the publication where you found this source. Please tell us also the author's name. Thank you.

Vinh Huy

Vietnamese
    The
    Hi, Vinh Huy. I can't make any sense out of the underlined phrase. Perhaps some other member will see something that I have missed.

Please tell us the name of the publication where you found this source. Please tell us also the author's name. Thank you.
    "It's in 'HOW TO THINK ABOUT GREAT IDEAS" by Mortimer Adler. Thank you for your time.

Pertinax

BrE->AuE
    It might make some kind of sense to me if "mean by" had read "meaning of". I have checked Amazon, and the statement is correctly transcribed. This is one GREAT IDEA that eludes me. Perhaps someone else can throw light on it.

How to Think About the Great Ideas

Yes, "mean by" is perhaps to be replaced by "meaning of" as Pertinax suggests.

Here is another possible rewrite:

Not just in making analytical or discursive statements about it, like two plus two equals four or x is y or some statement of fact; truth--or in its ordinary meaning, 'logical truth'-- exists in such statements.

OR

Not just in making analytical or discursive statements about it, like two plus two equals four or x is y or some statement of fact; truth--or what we ordinarily mean by 'logical truth'-- exists in such statements.

Last edited:

Vinh Huy

Vietnamese
    It might make some kind of sense to me if "mean by" had read "meaning of". I have checked Amazon, and the statement is correctly transcribed. This is one GREAT IDEA that eludes me. Perhaps someone else can throw light on it.
    Thank you.

Vinh Huy

Vietnamese
    How to Think About the Great Ideas

Yes, "mean by" is perhaps to be replaced by "meaning of" as Pertinax suggests.

Here is another possible rewrite:

Not just in making analytical or discursive statements about it, like two plus two equals four or x is y or some statement of fact; truth--or in its ordinary meaning, 'logical truth'-- exists in such statements.

OR

Not just in making analytical or discursive statements about it, like two plus two equals four or x is y or some statement of fact; truth--or what we ordinarily mean by 'logical truth'-- exists in such statements.
    Thank you very much for clarifying. I think you're right.

Vinh Huy

Vietnamese
    Thank you for your time.

< Previous | Next >