The other singles out the domain...for special pejorative treatment.

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does it mean "the other regulates that the domain of evolutionary science should be treated with a contempt"?

Thanks in advance
SUMMARY OF ARGUMENT
The Louisiana Balanced Treatment for Creation-Science and Evolution-Science Act (the "Act") violates the Establishment Clause, as incorporated in the Fourteenth Amendment. The Act's illegitimate bias toward the outlook of a particular religious sect is reflected in two separate provisions. One calls for the presentation of the religious tenets of "creation-science" in public-school science classes. The other singles out the domain of evolutionary science for special pejorative treatment.

-U.S. Supreme Court Decision

Source

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    No. Single out means "identify individually" . The Provision that has been singled out used pejorative treatement of evolutionary science - i.e. the provision made statements that were (from the dictionary)
    • (of a word) having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling force.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    The Provision... used pejorative treatement of evolutionary science
    Sorry failed to get "used pejorative treatment of evolutionary science" and "for special pejorative treatment."

To me, "used pejorative treatment" seems to mean "abused." That is, (the Louisiana's Act) abused/disdained evolutionary science.

That is, Louisiana identified/singled out evolutionary science as "bad guy" and bombarded it.

Am I on the right track?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Sorry failed to get "used pejorative treatment of evolutionary science" and "for special pejorative treatment."

To me, "used pejorative treatment" seems to mean "abused." That is, (the Louisiana's Act) abused/disdained evolutionary science.

That is, Louisiana identified/singled out evolutionary science as "bad guy" and bombarded it.

Am I on the right track?
    (of a word) having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling force.
    They used "disparaging, derogatory, or belittling" language to describe evolutionary science.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    (of a word) having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling force.
    They used "disparaging, derogatory, or belittling" language to describe evolutionary science.
    And that is why 72 Nobel laureates stood out against Louisiana in order to defend evolutionary science?

< Previous | Next >