The paintings span that seemingly infinite void hiding....

sanchai

Banned
Thailand, Thai language
Dear all,

I'm now reading about Spanish history from the prehistory time. However, even I could a little bit get some small point from this sentence, I still couldnot understand it clearly. Therefore, if possible, could anyone explain this sentence to me in plain English?

The paintings span that seemingly infinite void hiding the dark and murky origins of life on the peninsula.
Preserved by some remarkable act of serensipity, they are a tiny but treasured piece of the story of Spain.

Thank you very much.

• Halloway

English English
    My interpretation would be that the history of Spain and the Iberian Peninsula is not very well known and the paintings shed some light on this dark period ('dark' as in 'unknown', rather than 'depressing' or 'sinister.')

'Seemingly infinite void' is just silly, though IMHO and completely superfluous.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I think what they are trying to say is clear: the paintings cast light in a dark period - provide information where it is hard to come by.

The image of a something spanning a void isn't helpful, because it suggests that the earlier, more remote, period is better documented.

shawnee

English - Australian
    Sanchai, at which point from the pre history onwards does mention of paintings occur? Are we talking about cave paintings or Francisco de Goya?

sanchai

Banned
    Thailand, Thai language
    Hi everybody thank you very much for your advices..This part talking about the paintings at the Altamira cave..The whole paragraph said:
    Indeed, the discovery seemed so incredible that it met with widespread skepticism until similar paintings were later discovered in France. It was-and still is-hard to believe that people so removed from us in time could seem so close in spirit. The paintings span that seemingly infinite void hiding the dark and murky origins of life on the peninsula. Preserved by some remarkable act of serensipity, they are a tiny but treasured piece of the story of Spain.

labud

Croatian
    I understand it like this: The paintings (span=cover) that (seemingly infinite=very long, at the first glance) (void=period of time of which we know nothing or little).

< Previous | Next >