The pan within

< Previous | Next >

elplin

España
Hi everybody
One of the ways I use to learn English is listening songs and look for the lyrics in internet.
Now I'm listening one song from "The Waterboys" called "the pan within". The tranlation I make has no meaning, so I think may it has to be an expresion.
Can anybody tell me what it means?

Close your eyes
Breathe slow well begin
Close your eyes
Breathe slow and we will begin
To look together
For the pan within

Thank you so much

• rivereridanus

English-United States
    I can't say for sure, because I'm not personally familiar with the song or the group, but reading the lyrics, I'm going to strongly guess that the singer is referring to Peter Pan- the boy who ran away from home so he would never grow up. Using this meaning, the song basically says "dance with me, and together we'll stay forever young. We'll have the time of our lives and never grow old."

elplin

España
    Thank you very much to everybody.
    At the moment what Rivereridanus says has a lot of sense.

Cheers

sweta108

English
    Esch is correct that it is a mythological reference. The Waterboys also have written a song called "The Return of Pan" that indicates that they have a strong interest in the Pan of ancient Greek mythology. What they are saying is that Pan is actually alive within all of us. There are psychologists who look at mythological figues as "archetypes" that we can find within ourselves. Check out Jean Shinoda Bolens books Goddesses in Every Woman and Gods in Every Man.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roga2020

English
    Copy paste from Mike Scott :
    Mike Scott: Pan is one of the Greek gods of course. He’s the god of wild places, of wild creatures. He also has a lusty animal side to him. And we all have a bit of Pan inside us. Because Pan is also the word for 'all'. So Pan is inside all. Pan is an archetypal life-force, personified as this Greek god with the legs of a goat and the torso of a man and the horns on the head. And we all have that life force in us. So we all have Pan inside. So the Pan within is that part of us that is that archetypal founding life force

gengo

American English
    Copy paste from Mike Scott :
    Mike Scott: Pan is one of the Greek gods of course. He’s the god of wild places, of wild creatures. He also has a lusty animal side to him. And we all have a bit of Pan inside us. Because Pan is also the word for 'all'. So Pan is inside all. Pan is an archetypal life-force, personified as this Greek god with the legs of a goat and the torso of a man and the horns on the head. And we all have that life force in us. So we all have Pan inside. So the Pan within is that part of us that is that archetypal founding life force
    In that case, it should have been capitalized in the lyrics, as "pan" is an error in that meaning.

< Previous | Next >