the passenger shall pay one-way fare retroactively according to the network minimum fare

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Shanghai Metro

Quotation: 3. The passenger shall comply with the following ticketing management regulations:
(1) The passenger shall hold a valid ticket;
(2) The passenger who overtakes stations shall pay the excess fare; After entering the charging zone, the passenger shall go out of the charging zone within a reasonable time; otherwise, the passenger shall pay one-way fare retroactively according to the network minimum fare;
===
Hi everyone! I'm puzzled with the bold sentence, especially 'retroactive'. I'm unsure whether the word applies here.

The extract is posted on the Shanghai Metro official website and translated from Chinese. I try to explain the original meaning as below:

A passengers isn't expected to stay in the charging zone for more than four hours, namely the reasonable time, or he will pay his fare plus three yuan, the minimum fare of Shanghai metro.

To be clear, the charging zone in subway stations refers to the area you can't enter before you buy the ticket.

• suzi br

English / England
    Your gloss and what they are using as their translation are not the same.
    I would not really understand the detail of their version although it is clear that if a passenger stays too long in a zone they will meet extra charges of some sort.

Irelia20150604

Chinese
    I have to say the original Chinese sentence contains some cliche and is not readily intelligible. As a native Chinese, I had been uncertain about the meaning before I found the detailed explanations. :D My gloss is a simplified version.

Then the question comes down to:
    If I rewrite my gloss as --
    A passengers isn't expected to stay in the charging zone for more than four hours, or he will pay his fare plus three yuan retroactively --- version B

Does the version B conveys the same meaning as my original version?

suzi br

English / England
    I am not sure about using retroactively at all. I am not sure what it adds. I think "excess" fare might do the job more straighforwardly.

suzi br

English / England
    I guess the reason they dont want to say "3 yuan" is in case the fares go up - saying something more generic like "standard single fare" means they don't have to change it when fares increase.

Irelia20150604

Chinese
    Chinese translators tend to translate "to pay what you should have paid" as "to pay retroactively". But "retroactive pay" strikes me as "Wages due for past services at newly negotiated rates, applicable usually where wage negotiations extend beyond the last date of the previous wage agreement." What is retroactive pay? definition and meaning

Anyway, some Chinese-English translations are really confusing. :D

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    I can see that retroactively means "pay what you should have paid in the past" - but I dont think it fits well in this context. This passenger already had a ticket and now they want them to pay more. I'd think it was more like a fine for hanging about in the zone and presumably using the ticket for multiple trips?

< Previous | Next >