the pebbles with their clink / chink / tinkle

little_mosquito

Serbian - Serbia
What's the most appropriate word to use " a clink, chink or tinkle" in a sentence:
The pebbles with their ... were calling out dawn.

• JamesM

Please give us a little more background. Is someone walking on the pebbles? Are the pebbles being thrown against a window? Are they falling down a mountainside? Pebbles don't usually move or make sounds on their own.

Clink is the sound when two wine glasses strike each other in a toast.
    Chink might be the sound of coins or metal pieces striking each other.
    Tinkle is the sound that breaking glass makes as it hits the ground or the sound of small chimes.

I don't see how any of them would apply to pebbles.

Last edited:

little_mosquito

Serbian - Serbia
    Well a woman was draging her suitcase on the ground filled with pebbles that glanced off the wheels and collided with each other and while falling they made some kind of sound.
    Those were the words a found closely fitting the sound of it and I do know their meaning that is why I'm in doubt.

Copyright

American English
    I don't see pebbles glancing off suitcase wheels, so much as much ground under them. So I find it difficult to imagine them leaping into the air and colliding with one another. But if you must have a word, none of the 'ink words works for me because I don't think the sound would have that sort of clarity. They might click for me.

Last edited:

JamesM

The word that comes to mind for me is "crunch". Pebbles crunch under your feet as you walk and they also make a crunching sound when wheels go over them. To me the sound of the wheels (and suitcase body, possibly) on the pebbles would drown out the few pebbles that glanced off the wheels.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    In my imagination of this scene, the pebbles are clinking or clanging against each other.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I partially agree, but it's literature---poetic license. ;)

I imagine this also: the resonance of the pebbles bouncing against one another

But, that doesn't help much, because it's too wordy.

little_mosquito

Serbian - Serbia
    Why would the sound of pebbles call out the dawn, that I can't tell. If it's up to me, I would've said "announcing" or something similar to that.
    But that's what the writer wrote, and I'm just trying to translate it in a most poetic way.:)

< Previous | Next >