The performance of the two methods DEPENDS on

paf1984

Italian
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with the sentence "The performance of the two methods DEPENDS on"

In particular I'm not sure whether in this case it is correct to say the performace depends or the performance depend.

Someone can please help me?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
  • paf1984

Italian
    Yes, sorry.

the complete sentence is:

For a low inter-correlation level among variables the performance of the two methods depend on the disturbance variance values.

JamesM

The subject of "depend" is "the performance", which is singular, so "depends" is the correct word.

....the performance (of the two methods) depends on the disturbance variance values.

paf1984

Italian
    The subject of "depend" is "the performance", which is singular, so "depends" is the correct word.

....the performance (of the two methods) depends on the disturbance variance values.

I still have a question about the word PERFORMANCE.
    I hope you don't mind if Iask it in the same thread, but I think it is related to this one.In the following sentence:

"Due to the complexity of both estimation methods, we studied their relative performance in the framework of the same simulation design"

performance is sungular or plurar? That is to say it is correct PERFORMANCE or better PERFORMANCES?

Thank you

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I reckon it's a singular. In fact "performance" has two basic meanings.

As a count-noun with the plural "performances", it means an appearance by an actor, musician, etc. E.g. "Menuhin gave two performances at the Albert Hall."
    As a non-count with no plural, it means the quality of behaviour of a machine, etc. E.g. "Due to the complexity of both estimation methods, we studied their relative performance."

Others may disagree.

< Previous | Next >