the place thereof shall know me no more

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 399, chapter 17) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: After receiving Clifford's letter, Connie received a letter from Mellors..…)

He said, of course it was a great insult, and I told himthere was Queen Mary on a calendar in the scullery, no doubt because Her Majesty formed part of my harem. But he didn’t appreciate the sarcasm. He as good as told me I was a disreputable character who walked about with my breeches’ buttons undone, and I as good as told him he’d nothing to unbutton anyhow, so he gave me the sack, and I leave on Saturday week, and the place thereof shall know me no more.

I feel
the place to be the people of this place, because a place can't know(=recognize) a person, except it's a personalizing device
Am I right please?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    Yes, it means the people. I feel it could mean "I will no longer be spoken about there (in that place)" or "The people will no longer be allowed to mention my name / talk about me"; "I'll be ostracized / excluded from their conversation(s)"
    or, "They'll never see me again - I'm off, and I'm never coming back!"

< Previous | Next >