The plays 'starred by/ starring/ starred in by' Tom Cruise

< Previous | Next >

Mensu

Chinese
Hi,

I wrote a sentence but I am not sure of the '[ ]' part.

The movies [starred by Tom Cruise] are well-known among people throughout the world.

I am wondering whether the [ ] bit should be 'starred by Tom Cruise' or 'starring Tom Cruise' or 'starred in by Tom Cruise'.

Which would be correct and natural English?
#1. The movies starred by Tom Cruise are well-known...
#2. The movies starring Tom Cruise are well-known...
#3. The movies starred in by Tom Cruise are well-known...

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
  • Myridon

English - US
    #2 is correct and natural.
    #1 means Tom Cruise drew stars by the names of the well-known plays.
    I would say that #3 is not correct. The plays which Tom Cruise starred in are well known.

sdgraham

USA English
    What "plays?"

Although people are familiar with his films, I can't find that Cruise ever did anything noteworthy in a "play," which we (AE at least) normally consider to involve live actors on a stage.

Or did I miss somethinig...?

tepatria

Canadian English
    I agree with sdgraham. Tom Cruise is a movie star, or a film star. "Movies starring Tom Cruise are well known." would be my way of saying this, if I ever felt the need to talk about Tom Cruise.

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Or, in a more natural phrasing, The movies Tom Cruise starred in are well known.

Mensu

Chinese
    Thank all of you very much.

I am sorry. I meant 'movie' and I should have used this word. I thought 'play' meant the same . I was wrong. Thanks for your pointing out. In fact I misunderstood what a play is. Sorry. :(

It seems that 'movies starring Tom Cruise' or 'movies Tom Cruise starred in' is correct.

sdgraham

USA English
    Thank all of you very much.

I am sorry. I meant 'movie' and I should have used this word. I thought 'play' meant the same . I was wrong. Thanks for your pointing out. In fact I misunderstood what a play is. Sorry. :(

It seems that 'movies starring Tom Cruise' or 'movies Tom Cruise starred in' is correct.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >