The political conflict < that > began.

mrxkms

Arabic
Hello all

Is there something wrong with the follwoing sentence or is there another function of "that" that I dont know about?

here is the text:

The political conflict between the capitalist countries of the West( the US and western Europe) and the Communist countries of the East( the Soviet Union and eastern Europe) that began after World War II. Both sides had large military forces which were kept ready for war, and threatened each other with nuclear weapons. They also tried to find out each other’s secrets using spies.

What is the function of "that" in this text? actually, after reading "that", I looked for the main verb of the sentence, but there was none.

PS. I couldnt find the source.

Many thanks to you all

• SevenDays

Spanish
    Hello all

Is there something wrong with the follwoing sentence or is there another function of "that" that I dont know about?

here is the text:

The political conflict between the capitalist countries of the West( the US and western Europe) and the Communist countries of the East( the Soviet Union and eastern Europe) that began after World War II. Both sides had large military forces which were kept ready for war, and threatened each other with nuclear weapons. They also tried to find out each other’s secrets using spies.

What is the function of "that" in this text? actually, after reading "that", I looked for the main verb of the sentence, but there was none.

PS. I couldnt find the source.

Many thanks to you all
    Well, the function of "that" is to introduce the relative clause "that began after World War II." The relative clause has been extraposed (moved down to the end of the sentence). But, as post #2 points out, this is not a complete sentence, so not much more can be said about it.