The Posies

< Previous | Next >

Cecilio

Spanish, Valencian/Catalan
There's an American band that I like very much and it's called "The Posies". The other day somebody asked what "posies" means and I didn't have an appropriate answer. Any ideas?

• Nicmarjel

England, English
    "Posy" to me is a small bunch of flowers - like what a bridesmaid carries at a wedding for example. Posies would be the plural of posy and so my interpretation would be small bunches of flowers - but that doesn´t make much sense when talking about a rock band!!!

Perhaps someone else has a better idea......

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    A posy is a bouquet or corsage of flowers. Posies is the plural of that.

There's a old nursery rhyme that goes like this:

Ring around the rosies,
    a pocket full of posies.
    Ashes, ashes,
    we all fall down.

I'm told it has something to do with the bubonic plague. But the pocket full of posies was full of flowers.

Cecilio

Yes, you are right. I looked up the word "posie" instead of "posy" and that's why I didn't find anything. In any case, as you say, there might be something more to that name, especially if it is a rock band, or maybe not.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    There's an American band that I like very much and it's called "The Posies". The other day somebody asked what "posies" means and I didn't have an appropriate answer. Any ideas?
    The only English meaning I know for posy is the one given by WR dictionary: an arrangement of flowers that is usually given as a present

I've linked a definition in Urban Dictionary for you. If your band is male, and not into heavy drinking, I wonder if the name comes from pose - posees suggests people who are posed.

That line - Can also be used as a term to describe something cool, or eccentric - might also be significant.

Cecilio

Thank you for the little poem, anothersmith! And thank you for the link, Thomas!

In this link there's another meaning of "posy" as "a mean gang". Maybe in this case it's some kind of alternative to "posse". Is that possible? Ina any case, i assume that these slang meanings of "posy" are all exclusively American, am I right?

Nicmarjel

England, English
    I´ve never heard of these slang meanings so presume they are American but it would make sense to me that in this case it is some kind of alternative to "posse". Perhaps on the groups official website there is some kind of explanation as to why they chose to call their band "The Posies"

Cecilio

Yes, I have found something (link). It's an FAQ page about The Posies, where it is said that they chose the name "at the last minute - as a crazy joke". So maybe it's just an ironic name, rather than something with a specific slang meaning.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    [...]
    In any case, I assume that these slang meanings of "posy" are all exclusively American, am I right?
    I don't think so - the Urban Dictionary entry is from the UK.

The Urban Dictionary definitions for poser might be relevant too - though it would probably be more likely in the UK where that kind of reverse humour is more familiar.

< Previous | Next >