..the possibility of cascading....(noun) to ....(noun)

< Previous | Next >

pokl.zhou

Chinese
Hi, the question is about the meaning of "cascading" in this sentence.
The whole sentence follows(in case of anyone's request for it):
"This opens up the possibility of cascading 'spatial fixes' to the capital surplus absorption problem"

this this the definition I got from thefreedictionary.com of "cascade" being a verb "To fall or cause to fall in or as if in a cascade."

This is in fact the first time I've ever met this verb. It doesn't make sense to in the sentence if I replace "cascade" with "fall" or "flow"; moreover, the verb is accompanied by a preposition "to"....
It's being used in a metaphorical sense that I don't get?
Help
Thanks.

According to the context, I surmise the author is trying to express " ...the possibility of solving the capital surplus absorption problem by over coming 'spatial fixes' "
since the flow of surplus in Britain in late nineteenth century to the United States, Argentina or South Africa "where it can to profitably deployed" is mention in the following part.

I am just so uncertain about the exact meaning of the word "cascading" even though I could infer a faint meaning of the whole sentence.
If anyone can rewrite the given sentence in a more lucid way, so I could figure out what "cascading" is used to convey, I will be extremely thankful. Please.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Matching Mole

England, English
    Cascading is used in a technical sense, as in this definition:

2 a process whereby something, typically information or knowledge, is successively passed on.

• a succession of devices or stages in a process, each of which triggers or initiates the next.
    [OED Online]

One example is in "cascading style sheets", a term in web design and information technology. However, to me, it seems easier to use them than to explain what is "cascading" about them.

Perhaps if you know a little about your topic, you may be able to see how this definition applies; however, I don't think it's possible to re-state your sentence without some understanding of the underlying principles.

pokl.zhou

Chinese
    Can you give me another sentence in which "cascade" or any form of is used with preposition "to" accompanying?

Myridon

English - US
    In your original sentence, "cascading" is an adjective, i.e. it's not "cascading to" - "cascading" describes the "spatial fixes" as spatial fixes which cascade (each fix builds upon/causes/requires another fix).
    "This opens up the possibility of ... fixes to the ... problem."

< Previous | Next >